Lichfield Cathedral choristers sing in a beautiful and inspiring building, perform in concerts across the country and abroad and receive a first-class academic education at the Cathedral School. Being a Chorister is fun, inspiring and gives a unique start to life.
Enthusiasm, intelligence and potential are the keys to becoming a chorister – girls and boys are not expected to have a fully developed voice, nor is any formal singing experience necessary. Potential choristers need to be able to sing, to pitch notes when played on a piano and be interested in developing their musical ability. Enjoyment of singing and a willingness to work hard are far more important than experience.
The benefits of being a chorister include:
- A first-class musical training from the School’s and cathedral's staff of professional musicians. The experience of performing to the highest standards every day, combined with theory tuition, results in the choristers becoming professional musicians by the age of 13.
- An outstanding academic education at Lichfield Cathedral School.
- Acquiring valuable skills including team-work, self-discipline, self-confidence, taking responsibility and the ability to concentrate on a task, will benefit them throughout their education and for the rest of their lives.
- The opportunity to be a part of uplifting and extraordinary concerts, services and events across the diocese and further afield working at the highest professional standard with some of the country's best-known composers, conductors, soloists and orchestras.
- A cathedral-style education whilst living at home with your family.
- Be part of a unique cultural heritage stretching back more than 700 years and help to ensure its continued future success.
- Taking part in radio and television broadcasts and international tours.
- Making many friends for life.
- A substantial choral scholarship from the Dean and Chapter of the cathedral (boys) or the Cathedral School (girls) towards the cost of their education. Additional financial support is available where needed.
Contact the Admissions Team on 01543 306168 for further information.